Purpose of the PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner Certification
PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner certification is for anyone managing projects. This could be as part of a formal project management function or a role in which project management is an inherent part of day-to-day work. The Practitioner certification aims to confirm that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding in order to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios.
The PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner certificate is only one part of becoming a successful and effective project manager. It is important to ensure that this is supplemented with real-life experience working on projects, in addition to investing in their own professional development and wider training.
PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner training
Typically, classroom training for PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner lasts one and a half days and the examination takes place at the end of the training (this will vary depending on training provider). However, you can self-study for the Practitioner exam and you may also choose to take the training in another format such as distance learning. Training is delivered by AXELOS' Accredited Training Organizations who set their own rates, so prices will vary.
See our Training section to find a course.
This certification is aimed at project managers, aspiring project managers and anyone who manages projects. It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including: Project Board members (e.g. Senior Responsible Owners), Team Managers (e.g. Product Delivery Managers), Project Assurance (e.g. Business Change Analysts), Project Support (e.g. Project and Programme Office personnel) and operational line managers/staff.
To take the PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner examination you must provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- PRINCE2 Foundation (this must be a 2009 certificate or later)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)*
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)*
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
For more information on which certifications are now recognized as approved prior learning for the PRINCE2 Practitioner certification, please refer to our guide:
- Objective testing
- 68 questions per paper
- 38 marks or more required to pass (out of 68 available): approximately 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours’ (150 minutes) duration, no additional reading time
- Open book exam (official PRINCE2 manual only).